My first effort towards an actual jacket shape using prefelt with silk and rovings. In my last post I had a photo of my first (ever!) dying, it was supposed to be red…but came out an icky pink so I dyed it with blue and finally got something I could live with and also the variation ‘splotches I was looking for.
I loaded my stuff into the car and did the work over at my friend Sylvia Naylor’s house where she has much more room than I in her basement close to the laundry tub.
Here is my piece (or part thereof….I cut off some bits for ‘sleeves’) after an afternoon of setting my embellishments and cutting out a shape. I’ve cut out shoulder shaping and cut slits for armholes….to be tweaked later.
I’ve used bits of left over silk chiffon and some silk georgette, then bits of coloured prefelt and roving. I had absolutely no idea of what I wanted the fabric to look like when I started but just followed the fun I have when I’m making felted collars for my knits.
These are the three pieces laid out the way I would want them to look in a finished garment and this is what I was aiming for….but we’re only half way there, I need to rinse and dry it.
|Back with collar up.
|Collar turned down a bit.
Before drying I took it home and put it on Rinse & Spin in my front loader. It took out any residual dye and it’s as small as it’s ever going to be. It also came out a lovely dove grey!
Here is the finished piece which is more like a bolero jacket as there are only sleeve caps, this is after I had worn it to the symphony (KSO
) the day after I made it. I wore it with a light, black long sleeved top and a long black skirt and boots.
|Silk Georgette felts in and puckers beautifully.
I’m still learning about dying and sizing but I hand stitched the shoulders together, I was going to try to felt them but I had enough to think about without worrying about a resist element. Anyway, it wasn’t rubbish bin fodder so…. I loved it!